Thu, 05/12/2019 | 17:37 PM
Project on Supporting Registration for Protection of Viet Nam’s Geographical Indications in Japan – Promoting the Potential Cooperation between Viet Nam and Japan through Special Cultural Ambassadors
Within the Project, Binh Thuan Dragon Fruit, Buon Ma Thuot Coffee and Luc Ngan Lychee are selected to be “special cultural ambassadors” for advertisement of Viet Nam’s geographical indications to consumers of Japan.
Following certain successful cooperation activities between Viet Nam and Japan, which was demonstrated in the Joint Statement on Deepening the Viet Nam – Japan Extensive Strategic Partnership, and with objective ofimplementation of the Memorandum of Cooperation on Geographical Indication between the Intellectual Property Office of Viet Nam and the Food Industry Affairs Bureau (Japan) in signed on 02 June 2017, the Project on Supporting Registration for Protection of Viet Nam’s Geographical Indication in Japan under the Program on Intellectual Property Assets Development of 2016 – 2020 period was approved by Ministry of Science and Technology. The Project is one of achievements gained by Viet Nam and Japan in implementation of the extensive bilateral cooperation relationship.
Under the Project, Binh Thuan Dragon Fruit, Buon Ma Thuot Coffee and Luc Ngan Lychee are selected to be “special cultural ambassadors” for advertisement of Viet Nam’s geographical indications to Japanese consumers. Such products were chosen to register for geographical indication protection in Japan based on certain criteria, including: the level of priority and committments between the two Governments in promoting exportation of agricultural products; export potentiality and the capability to satisfy technical barriers, especially requirements on food safety of the products; readiness of dossier in comply with requirements of Japan; availability of the products and supports of local government/businesses/people for the registration of the geographical indications in Japan.
Based on such criteria, the Intellectual Property Office of Viet Nam (IP Viet Nam) carried out several steps, including: information collection; preliminarily screening of products and on-site visits. In these visits, experts from IP Viet Nam surveyed the scale of production, productivity, product markets, sale prices in domestic and international markets; availability of the product for export to Japan; the desire of local government/businesses/people in applying for GI registration in Japan; production process governed by competent authorities, and especially practices of using pesticides because of strict requirements of Japan on food safety. With achieved results, 3 products have been selected by the IP Viet Nam for appylying for GI registration.
Luc Ngan Lychee
Luc Ngan Lychee, which is named in the fruit priority list for exporting to Japan, according to the 2017 Vietnam – Japan Joint Statement. Luc Ngan Lychee has been exported to Japan as well as has high productivity and high added value.
Binh Thuan Dragon Fruit
Binh Thuan Dragon Fruit, which was proposed by Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, has been exported to Japan according to the 2016 Viet Nam’s Export – Import Report. This fuit has a large scale of production.
Buon Ma Thuot Coffee
Buon Me Thuot Coffee, which is highly sought for and approved for export to Japan, has a large scale production, high added value and export potentiality.
The Project will provide supports to such products in preparing application documents to comply with Japan’s regulations on GI protection. Along with preparing application documents, the Project also provide supports for those 3 products in improving the Rules on GI management and use, Standardization of technical processes, etc. Experienced experts of the Project will provide consultancy and guidance for improving product quality to meet strict regulations of Japan’s market. The Project will also provide on-site studies for Japanese experts in geographical areas after the applications for geographical indication protection of the products are filed in Japan.
The Project on Supporting Registration for Protection of Viet Nam’s Geographical Indications in Japan is expected not only to support three provinces of Binh Thuan, Dak Lak and Bac Giang but also to create opportunities for other products bearing geographical indications of Viet Nam to apply for GI protection and to export to Japan.
Center for Examination of Geographical Indications and International Trademarks
Latest news title
- Notification on application of legal provisions relating to time limits for applicants affected by Covid-19 and transactions between applicants and the Intellectual Property Office of Viet Nam
- WIPO Director General Congratulates Singapore's Daren Tang on Nomination for Post of Director General
- World Intellectual Property Day – April 26, 2020 Innovate for a Green Future
- Announcement on Adopting the Vietnamese Version of the International patent classification 2020.01
- Development of “Guidebook for Geographical Indication registration in Japan” and “Guide on Regulations for agricultural products exported to Japan”
- Announcement on Adopting the Vietnamese Version of the Nice Classification of Goods and Services 11-2020
- Regional High-Level Summit for University Presidents and Senior Policy Makers on Creating an Enabling Innovation Environment (EIE) for Intellectual Property and Technology
- The Intellectual Property Office of Vietnam (IP Viet Nam) put into trial the "Digital Library of Industrial Property" system based on the WIPO Publish.
- Booklet on ASEAN Geographical Indications (GIs) procedures and products
- The need to improve capacity of intellectual property management and technology commercialization of institutions.
- Notification on application of legal provisions relating to time limits for...
- [TISC] e-Tutorial on Using and Exploiting Patent Information
- WIPO Academy’s 2020 Course Catalogue Now Available
- Announcement on Adopting the Vietnamese Version of the International patent...
- Announcement on Adopting the Vietnamese Version of the Nice Classification of...
- Announcement on the Correction of errors for some codes in the Vietnamese...
- The online filing system under the PCT Treaty (ePCT) is officially accepted...
- The Intellectual Property Office of Vietnam (IP Viet Nam) put into trial the...
- Notice of Training Schedules on Patents and Industrial Property Information...