Fri, 16/08/2019 | 15:17 PM
Geographical indication protection of “Đồng Giao” for pineapple
On 27/5/2019, Intellectual Property Office of Viet Nam has issued Decision No. 2588/QD-SHTT on granting Geographical Indication Registration Certificate No. 00074 for Đồng Giao pineapple...
On 27/5/2019, Intellectual Property Office of Viet Nam has issued Decision No. 2588/QD-SHTT on granting Geographical Indication Registration Certificate No. 00074 for Đồng Giao pineapple. The People’s Committee of Tam Điệp City is the organization in charge of managing this geographical indication (GI).
Đồng Giao pineapple is a specialty of Ninh Bình Province, and is listed in the Top 50 most famous fruits of Viet Nam. Đồng Giao pineapple, along with Tổng Trường anabas fish, Ninh Bình mountain goat and fried rice, are considered gourmet highlights of Ninh Bình province.
Two main varieties of Đồng Giao pineapple are Cayene pineapple and Queen pineapple.
Đồng Giao Cayene pineapple has cylinder shape, slight yellow-orange colour, aromatic scent and no fibre. Its weight is about 1.53 to 1.78 kg per fruit, with diameter of about 12.90 to 13.90 cm and length of about 19.45 to 20.39 cm. Each fruit has from 111 to 115 eyes. Edible part of the fruit takes up 72 to 75% of the fruit. Nutrition value of Đồng Giao Cayene pineapple consist of: total soluble dry matter of 12.71 to 14.030bx; Vitamin C content of 27.87 to 28,57 mg per 100g; total sugar content of 8.62 to 9.31%; total acid content of 0.75 to 0.71%; dry matter content of 13.61 to 14.26%; water content of 85.87 to 86.26%.
Đồng Giao Queen pineapple has cylinder shape, straw yellow colour, aromatic scent, sweet taste and no fibre. Its weight is about 0.54 to 0.61 kg per fruit, with diameter of about 7.71 to 8.49 cm and length of about 10.46 to 11.27 cm. Each fruit has from 92 to 94 eyes. Edible part of the fruit takes up 60 to 74% of the fruit. Nutrition value of Đồng Giao Queen pineapple consist of: total soluble dry matter of 16.70 to 17.870bx; Vitamin C content of 26.52 to 27.10 mg per 100g; total sugar content of 12.47 to 14.29%; total acid content of 0.78 to 0.79%; dry matter content of 16.39 to 17.32%; water content of 82.66 to 83.63%.
The peculiarity of Đồng Giao pineapple is thanks to unique conditions of this geographical area, i.e. typical half-mountainous terrain, distributed in the hilly region stretching from the West to the East, on the low hills with the altitude of below 100m, and is sparsely separated. Those characteristics have created consistent climate and good drainage, which are favourable for the cultivation and production of pineapple. Climate-wise, the geographical area has a high radiation, with a total of 110 - 120 kcal/cm2/year, high radiation balance of 87,2 kcal/cm2/year, creating a high level of temperature with annual average of 23.3 – 24.00C. The total annual heat is 8,8000C. Annually there are 8 to 9 months with average temperature of over 200C. With the fact of low temperature during period from December to February, and has high temperature during the remains, it is very suitable for the growth and development stages of pineapple. During the blooming and the accumulation of nutrition in the stem, the geographical area has a high temperature variation between day and night (4 - 60C) which helps formulating the peculiarity of Đồng Giao pineapple. Annual average rainfall in the area is approximately 2,078 mm, relatively evenly distributed. The rainy season is from April to October with the highest rainfall in August and September, which is suitable to all of the development periods of pineapple, creating its peculiarity. Pedology-wise, the geographical area has 2 main soil groups, consist of 3 main soil types and 3 secondary soil types, in which the ones having the largest area is the red-brown soil group and the red-yellow soil group. The soil has a high clay content in its mechanical composition, which helps retaining water and nutrition, satisfying the high water requirement of pineapple. The surface level of the soil is soft and loose, suitable for the weak and shallow root of pineapple. Nutrition criteria of the soil of the geographical area also satisfy the needs of pineapple. Trace elements in the soil of the geographical area are at an adequate level, which have a significant impact on the quality of pineapple flower, contributing to the peculiarity of the product.
Not only the natural conditions, but the techniques in cultivation, production, harvesting and product preservation of the local producers also play a part in the formulation of Đồng Giao pineapple’s peculiarity.
The geographical area consists of Phú Long and Quảng Lạc Communes of Nho Quan Districts; Đông Sơn, Quang Sơn Communes and Trung Sơn, Nam Sơn Wards of Tam Điệp City, Ninh Bình Province.
Geographical Indication and International Trademark Examination Centre.
Latest news title
- World Intellectual Property Day – April 26, 2020 Innovate for a Green Future
- Regional High-Level Summit for University Presidents and Senior Policy Makers on Creating an Enabling Innovation Environment (EIE) for Intellectual Property and Technology
- Booklet on ASEAN Geographical Indications (GIs) procedures and products
- ASEAN Annual Conference on Applications of Information Technology in Industrial Property
- Viet Nam – The Colors of Traditional Brocade and Silk
- WIPO Regional Meeting on Developing the ASEAN Regional Technology Innovation Support Center (TISC) Network
- World Women Inventors and Entrepreneurs Association (WWIEA) supports creative activities by women
- PROMOTING COOPERATION ON GEOGRAPHICAL INDICATIONS WITH DEPARTMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY OF LAO
- IMPLEMENTATION OF “ENABLING THE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY ENVIRONMENT" (EIE) PROJECT SPONSORED BY WIPO
- WIPO Academy’s 2020 Course Catalogue Now Available
- Announcement on Adopting the Vietnamese Version of the International patent...
- Announcement on Adopting the Vietnamese Version of the Nice Classification of...
- Announcement on the Correction of errors for some codes in the Vietnamese...
- The online filing system under the PCT Treaty (ePCT) is officially accepted...
- The Intellectual Property Office of Vietnam (IP Viet Nam) put into trial the...
- Notice of Training Schedules on Patents and Industrial Property Information...
- Announcement of the number of fast track examination requests for the period...
- Announcements on launching new ePortal of Intellectual Property Office of...